Swim At Your Own Risk: Man loses leg to flesh-eating bacteria

A 50-year-old man in Texas is fighting for his life after contracting an unidentified flesh-eating bacteria during a family trip to a local beach.

Doctors had to amputate Brian Parrott’s right leg after it became infected at a beach in Galveston, Texas, which is on the Gulf Coast of the state. Although local authorities haven’t yet identified the bacteria, they speculated it may be vibrio, a common flesh-eating bacteria that lurks in coastal waters and can infect people through open wounds.

There are two ways to contract it, when an open wound is exposed to contaminated water or by consuming raw or undercooked shellfish.

Parrott also has diabetes, which makes him more susceptible to this type of infection.

MedVideos.org © 2014 - All videos published on MedVideos are the property of their respective authors or publisher.