This common artificial sweetener could poison your dog

Xylitol, a type of sweetener found in many sugar-free gums and other products, can have devastating consequences if ingested by a dog.

While chewing gum is the biggest culprit, xylitol can be found in other products including sugar-free candy, breath mints, cough syrup, children's and adult chewable vitamins, mouthwash, toothpaste, and some baked goods.

Xylitol affects humans and dogs differently. When a dog consume something with xylitol in it, the xylitol causes a “potent release of insulin from the pancreas,” according to the FDA. This will drop your dog’s blood sugar level to dangerous levels, resulting in symptoms such as vomiting, general weakness, staggering, loss of coordination, collapse and seizures. In humans, xylitol does not stimulate this insulin release from the pancreas.

If you think your dog may have eaten xylitol, take him to your vet or emergency animal hospital immediately!

MedVideos.org © 2014 - All videos published on MedVideos are the property of their respective authors or publisher.