Easter eggs: yummy for us, deadly for your dog

An Easter egg hunt may be an exciting activity for your children, but you must be very careful that your dog doesn't get involved in this particular game!

Chocolate can be highly dangerous for dogs. A chemical in chocolate known as theobromine can cause serious harm to your pet, even in small quantities. The darker and higher the percentage of cocoa, the more theobromine is in the chocolate.

How to recognise the signs of potential chocolate toxicity:

  • Initial signs can include excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea, a tender tummy and restlessness.
  • These symptoms can then progress to, tremors, an abnormal heart rhythm, raised body temperature and rapid breathing.
  • In severe cases dogs can experience fits, kidney failure or even death.
It’s easy to accidentally leave something tempting lying around that a pet might find hard to resist. Dogs, in particular, have a keen sense of smell and will easily win at any Easter egg hunt, so wherever chocolate is being stored – inside or outside – make sure it is pet proof and out of reach of inquisitive noses to avoid an emergency trip to the vet!

MedVideos.org © 2014 - All videos published on MedVideos are the property of their respective authors or publisher.